Murder Lawyers Greater Toronto Area (GTA)
Defending You Against the Murder Charge in the GTA
What is murder?
For this reason, a knowledgeable and experienced criminal lawyer can prepare a strong defence to challenge the evidence against the defendant. Some of the most common defences to murder charges in Canada are:
Types of murder charges
First-degree murder includes four types of homicide:
- Planned and deliberate murder
- Murder of an on-duty police officer
- Murder committed while carrying out other specified crimes such as sexual offences and kidnapping
- Murder committed by a defendant who was previously convicted of first- or second-degree murder
Any other type of homicide is typically charged as second-degree murder.
What are the penalties for murder charges?
- First-degree murder. You can be sentenced to life in jail with the eligibility for parole after serving 25 years.
- Second-degree murder. While you may also face life imprisonment when convicted of second-degree murder, you can have the chance of parole after 10 years. However, in some cases, a person convicted of second-degree murders may have to serve 25 years before applying for parole.