Drug Trafficking Lawyers Greater Toronto Area (GTA)
Defending You Against the Drug Trafficking Charge in the GTA
Having any kind of drug conviction on your criminal record can have serious consequences. Being convicted of drug trafficking can result in jail time, travel restrictions, hefty fines, and difficulty finding jobs in the Greater Toronto Area and elsewhere in Canada, among other penalties.
That is why it is critical to contact a knowledgeable drug trafficking lawyer in the GTA to protect your freedom and future.
Our results-driven and detail-oriented associates of Lawyers From The Six, servicing clients in the Greater Toronto Area, can help you prepare a strong defence and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
What is the drug trafficking charge?
The Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA) sets out which drugs are illegal in Canada and when individuals can face drug trafficking, possession, and other drug-related charges. Under
The CDSA defines “trafficking” as:
- Selling, transferring, administering, transporting, sending, or delivering illegal drugs or controlled substances;
- Selling an authorization to obtain a controlled substance or illegal drug; or
- Offering to do anything of the aforementioned.
If you or your loved one has been charged with drug trafficking under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, you need an experienced lawyer to defend you against the charges.
Our GTA drug trafficking lawyers at Lawyers From The Six can help you explore all of your options to help you fight against criminal charges.
What are the penalties for the drug trafficking charge?
The penalties for drug trafficking depend on several factors, including:
- the circumstances of the offence
- the type of the controlled substance or illegal drug
- the quantity of the substance at the time of the arrest
- the defendant’s past criminal convictions
- whether the defendant committed the offence for the benefit of or in association with a criminal organization
- whether the defendant used or threatened to use violence or weapon
- whether the offence was committed in or near school
- whether the offence involved an underage person
Depending on the seriousness of the drug trafficking offence, you may be charged with either an indictable offence or a summary offence. You may be facing the maximum term of life imprisonment for drug trafficking in Canada.
It is in your best interests to speak with a drug trafficking lawyer in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) to identify the applicable defence strategies in your particular case. Book a consultation with our criminal defence attorneys at Lawyers From The Six by calling 647-830-3083.